The District Attorney (DA) is the most powerful player in the criminal legal system. As the top prosecutor, the DA has the power to decide who gets charged with what crime and influences the culture of law enforcement within their county. The goal of the Oregon DA for the People campaign is to build community power with those who are most affected by the criminal legal system and policing. Our people’s platform demands concrete actions to decrease the harmful impact that the District Attorney has on people’s lives. Below are the list of demands our coalition wants the DA to commit to within their first 100 days of office.
- STOP TARGETING BLACK, BROWN, INDIGENOUS, AND IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES
- TREAT KIDS LIKE KIDS
- DECLINE TO PROSECUTE INDIVIDUALS WITH MENTAL HEALTH CONDITIONS
- COMMIT TO ENDING MASS INCARCERATION
- HOLD POLICE AND PROSECUTORS ACCOUNTABLE
- DECRIMINALIZE HOUSELESSNESS, SEX WORK, AND DRUG USE
(SURJ - Showing Up for Racial Justice)